Couples: I aim to help you to:
- Get your relationship back on track by giving a safe place where you can talk together
- Have a deeper understanding of the trigger points in your relationship so that alternative ways of settling differences can be reached
- Learn how to communicate effectively with your partner so that it is supportive and inquisitive rather than hostile
- Understand how the differences between you and your partner are an opportunity for you to develop new aspects of yourself
- Understand why an affair happened
- Understand why you chose your partner in the first place
- Learn new ways of nurturing your relationship and identify its strengths
- Or, support you to separate with grace and integrity if that is your chosen path
For Couples, the emphasis is on your relationship although by looking at how your relationship is with your partner, you will begin to understand how your relationship is affected by both your pasts. By its very nature, couples work is more directive than individual work and tends to be shorter term.
Thought of the Month
"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together."
Vincent Van Gogh
Improving relationships takes time. When we understand ourselves and are really able to listen to our partners and hear what they are saying and feeling, then we can start to make small changes to how we react to them. The counselling room is a place where that exploration can happen safely - it may not always be comfortable, but it is the small changes in the interaction that bring a greater closeness. It is a lifelong process and we should never be complacent but instead should strive to understand our emotions behind our triggers so that we are in control of them, rather than the other way round.