Couples: I aim to help you to:
- Get your relationship back on track by giving a safe place where you can talk together
- Have a deeper understanding of the trigger points in your relationship so that alternative ways of settling differences can be reached
- Learn how to communicate effectively with your partner so that it is supportive and inquisitive rather than hostile
- Understand how the differences between you and your partner are an opportunity for you to develop new aspects of yourself
- Understand why an affair happened
- Understand why you chose your partner in the first place
- Learn new ways of nurturing your relationship and identify its strengths
- Or, support you to separate with grace and integrity if that is your chosen path
For Couples, the emphasis is on your relationship although by looking at how your relationship is with your partner, you will begin to understand how your relationship is affected by both your pasts. By its very nature, couples work is more directive than individual work and tends to be shorter term.
Thought of the Month
"We must be our own before we can be another’s."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
One of the common expectations in a relationship is the belief that it is our partner’s role to be there for us, to nurture our every need and not only that, but to mind-read what we want even before we have realised our need! What if you were to approach your relationship with a different mind-set; holding the belief that each of us is responsible for our own happiness and fulfilment? In that way, the partnership is based on what Transactional Analysts call an ‘Adult to Adult’ relationship rather than a ‘Parent to Child’ relationship. In our counselling sessions, we would explore different aspects of your relationship and see which roles you are predominantly in, and consider the possibility of change and growth.